Kung pao chickpeas
| || |
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1 tbsp agave or honey
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil, melted
- arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 2 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 1 14.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup all-natural kung pao sauce bottled or homemade
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch knob of fresh ginger, grated
- Half tsp chili flakes or crushed red pepper
- 1 small bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1-2 spicy red jalapeños or Thai chili peppers
- Cashews, for garnish (optional)
- Steamed white rice, for serving
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the marinade. Add the chickpeas to the marinade, and stir well to coat.
- Cover the chickpeas, and allow them to marinate for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- To a large pan over medium heat, add the coconut oil, the marinated chickpeas and the remaining ingredients for the chickpeas.
- Sauté for about 6 – 8 minutes, until the chickpeas begin to caramelize and brown slightly.
- Remove from the heat, and allow the chickpeas to cool slightly.
Recipe taken from www.sheknows.com